CA Welf & Inst Code Section 16516


No social worker or probation officer acting as an officer of the court for purposes of this chapter shall, directly or indirectly, lobby for, act as a consultant to, enter into a business transaction with, acquire ownership of, or obtain a pecuniary interest in, any business, whether organized for profit or as a nonprofit entity, which has received any funds or income from court-ordered child welfare services.


(1)Any public law enforcement agency or any private entity shall have standing to bring an action seeking a civil remedy pursuant to this section in any court of competent jurisdiction.


Any person who violates this section shall be subject to any or all of the following remedies, as ordered by the court, in its discretion:


Restitution of funds received in violation of this section.


Statutory damages of not less than one thousand dollars ($1,000), not to exceed treble the amount of the funds received in violation of this section.


Actual damages resulting from a violation of this section.


Termination of the grant or contract.


Reasonable attorney’s fees.


Any other relief that the court deems proper.


For purposes of this section, “court-ordered child welfare services” include those services ordered by the court pursuant to Sections 11450 and 16501 for a dependent or ward of the court.
Last Updated

Aug. 19, 2023

§ 16516’s source at ca​.gov