California Vehicle Code
(a) A registration service is a person engaged in the business of soliciting or receiving an application for the registration, renewal of registration, or transfer of registration or ownership, of a vehicle of a type subject to registration under this code, or of soliciting or receiving an application for a motor carrier permit under Division 14.85 (commencing with Section 34600), or of transmitting or presenting those documents to the department, when any compensation is solicited or received for the service. Registration service includes, but is not limited to, a person who, for compensation, processes registration documents, conducts lien sales, or processes vehicle dismantling documents.
(b) Registration service does not include the following:
(1) A person performing registration services on a vehicle acquired by that person for his or her own personal use or for use in the regular course of that persons business.
(2) A person who solicits applications for or sells, for compensation, nonresident permits for the operation of vehicles within this state.
(3) An employee of one or more dealers or dismantlers, or a combination thereof, who performs either of the following:
(A)Registration services for vehicles acquired by, consigned to, or sold by one or more of the employing dealers or dismantlers.
(B) Vehicle transactions on behalf of one or more of the employing dealers or dismantlers, if the transaction is for an employing dealer or dismantler who is a qualified business partner in compliance with the Business Partner Automation Program established by the department pursuant to Section 1685.
(4) A motor club, as defined in Section 12142 of the Insurance Code.
(5) A common carrier acting in the regular course of its business in transmitting applications.