California Education Code
(a) Notwithstanding any provision of this chapter, the commission shall issue a five-year preliminary multiple subject teaching credential authorizing instruction in a self-contained classroom, a five-year preliminary single subject teaching credential authorizing instruction in departmentalized classes, or a five-year preliminary education specialist credential authorizing instruction of special education pupils to an out-of-state prepared teacher who meets all of the following requirements:
(1) Possesses a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
(2) Has completed a teacher
preparation program at a regionally accredited institution of higher education, or a state-approved teacher preparation program offered by a local educational agency.
(3) Meets the subject matter knowledge requirements for the credential. If the subject area listed on the out-of-state credential does not correspond to a California subject area, as specified in Sections 44257 and 44282, the commission may require the applicant to meet California subject matter requirements before issuing a clear credential.
(4) Has earned a valid corresponding elementary, secondary, or special education teaching credential based upon the out-of-state teacher preparation program. For the education specialist credential, the commission shall determine the area of concentration based on the special education program completed out of state.
(5) Has successfully completed a criminal background check conducted under Sections 44339, 44340, and 44341 for credentialing purposes.
(b) The holder of a credential issued pursuant to this section shall meet the state basic skills proficiency requirement set forth in Section 44252 within one year of the date the credential is issued or the credential shall become invalid.
(c) The commission shall issue a clear multiple subject, single subject, or education specialist teaching credential to an applicant who satisfies the requirements of subdivision (a), provides verification of two or more years of teaching experience, including, but not limited to, two satisfactory performance evaluations, and documents, in a manner prescribed by the commission, that he or she fulfills each of the following requirements:
(1) The applicant has completed 150 clock hours of activities that contribute to his or her competence, performance, and effectiveness in the education profession, and that assist the applicant in meeting or exceeding standards for professional preparation established by the commission, or the applicant has earned a masters degree or higher in a field related to the credential, or the equivalent semester units, from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
(2) The applicant has met the state requirements for teaching English learners including, but not limited to, the requirements in Section 44253.3.
(d) For applicants who do not meet the experience requirement described in subdivision (c), the commission shall issue a clear multiple subject, single subject, or education specialist teaching credential upon verification of the following
(1) The commission has issued to the applicant a preliminary five-year teaching credential pursuant to subdivision (a). However, an out-of-state prepared applicant in both special education and general education, who has earned a clear California education specialist credential, shall be granted a clear multiple subject or clear single subject teaching credential without first holding a preliminary multiple subject or single subject teaching credential, unless the commission determines that the applicant does not meet the other requirements of
(2) The applicant has completed a beginning teacher induction program pursuant to paragraph (2) of subdivision (c) of Section 44259.
(3) The applicant has met the requirements for teaching English learners, including, but not limited to, the requirements in Section 44253.3.
(4) Before issuing an education specialist credential under this subdivision, the commission shall verify completion of a program for
the Professional Level II credential accredited by the commission.