California Education Code
For purposes of this chapter, the following terms shall have the following meanings, unless the context otherwise requires:
(a) “Instruction for English language development” means instruction designed specifically for limited-English-proficient pupils to develop their listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in English.
(b) “Specially designed content instruction delivered in English” means instruction in a subject area, delivered in English, that is specially designed to meet the needs of limited-English-proficient pupils.
(c) “Content instruction delivered in the primary language” means instruction in a subject area delivered in the primary language of the pupil.
(d) “Instruction for primary language development” means instruction designed to develop a pupil’s listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in the primary language of the pupil.
(e) “Culture and cultural diversity” means an understanding of human relations, including the following:
(1) The nature and content of culture.
(2) Cross cultural contact and interactions.
(3) Cultural diversity in the United States and California.
(4) Approaches to providing instruction responsive to the diversity of the pupil population.
(5) Recognizing and responding to behavior related to bias based on the characteristics listed in Section 220.
(6) Techniques for the peaceful resolution of conflict.