(a) (1)A board may cite and fine a currently licensed health care practitioner if he or she is in default on a United States Department of Health and Human Services education loan, including a Health Education Assistance Loan.
(2) Each board that issues citations and imposes fines shall retain the money from these fines for deposit into its appropriate fund.
board may deny a license to an applicant to be a health care practitioner or deny renewal of a license if he or she is in default on a United States Department of Health and Human Services education loan, including a Health Education Assistance Loan, until the default is cleared or until the applicant or licensee has made satisfactory repayment arrangements.
(c) In determining whether to issue a citation and the amount of the fine to a health care practitioner or to deny a license to an applicant to be a health care practitioner or to deny the renewal of a license, a board shall take into consideration the following:
(1) The population served by the health care practitioner.
(2) The health care practitioners economic status.
(d) For purposes of this
section, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) Board means a licensing board or agency having jurisdiction of a licensee, but does not include the Board of Chiropractic Examiners.
(2) Health care practitioner means a person licensed or certified pursuant to this division or licensed pursuant to the Osteopathic Initiative Act.
(e) This section shall become operative on July 1, 2003.