CA Welf & Inst Code Section 11254


Subject to subdivision (b), in the case of any individual who is under the age of 18 years and has never married, and who is pregnant or has a dependent child in his or her care:


The individual may receive aid under this chapter for the individual and the child, if otherwise eligible, only if the individual and child reside in a place of residence maintained by a parent, legal guardian, or other adult relative of the individual as the parent’s, guardian’s, or adult relative’s own home, or in another adult-supervised supportive living arrangement.


The aid, where possible, shall be provided to the parent, legal guardian, or other adult relative on behalf of the individual.


Subdivision (a) does not apply in any of the following circumstances:


The individual has no parent or legal guardian of his or her own who is living or whose whereabouts are known.


No living parent or legal guardian of the individual allows the individual to live in the home of the parent or guardian.


It is determined by the child protective services worker that the physical or emotional health or safety of the individual or child would be jeopardized if the individual and child lived in the same residence with the individual’s own parent, legal guardian or other adult relative.


The individual lived apart from his or her parent or legal guardian for a period of at least one year before either the birth of any such child or the individual having made application for aid under this chapter.


It is determined in accordance with federal regulations that there is good cause for waiving subdivision (a).
Last Updated

Aug. 19, 2023

§ 11254’s source at ca​.gov