California Vehicle Code
(a) A motor carrier, as defined in Section 408, a motor carrier of property, and a for-hire motor carrier of property, as defined in Section 34601, shall obtain a carrier identification number from the department. Application for a carrier identification number shall be on a form furnished by the department. The department may furnish the form online and require the form to be completed and submitted electronically via the departments Internet Web site. Information provided in connection with an application for a carrier identification number shall be true and accurate, and updated by a motor carrier upon request from the department and within 15 days of any change of address or cessation of regulated activity at any of the motor carriers
(1) A motor carrier required to obtain a carrier identification number shall first obtain a United States Department of Transportation number from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and provide that number on the application for a carrier identification number. The department shall not assign a carrier identification number unless the application includes the United States Department of Transportation number assigned to, and properly identifying, the motor carrier.
(2) A motor carrier shall ensure information associated with the United States Department of Transportation number assigned to the motor carrier is true and accurate. The information shall be updated as required by Part 390.19 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, before the motor carrier operates a commercial motor vehicle, at least once every two calendar years, and within 15 days of
any change of information or cessation of regulated activity.
(b) The carrier identification number assigned to the motor carrier under whose operating authority or motor carrier permit the vehicle or combination of vehicles is being operated shall be displayed on both sides of each vehicle, or on both sides of at least one motor vehicle in each combination of the following vehicles:
(1) Each vehicle set forth in Section 34500.
(2) A motortruck of two or more axles that is more than 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating.
(3) Any other motortruck or motor vehicle used to transport property for compensation.
(c) A vehicle or combination of vehicles listed in subdivision (b) that is
operated under a rental agreement with a term of not more than 30 calendar days shall meet all of the following requirements:
(1) Have displayed on both sides of each vehicle or on both sides of one of the vehicles in each combination of vehicles the name or trademark of the lessor.
(2) Have displayed on both sides of each vehicle or on both sides of one of the vehicles in each combination of vehicles any of the following numbers issued to the lessor:
(A) The carrier identification number issued by the United States Department of Transportation.
(B) A valid operating authority number.
(C) A valid motor carrier of property number.
(3) (A)Have in the vehicle or combination of vehicles a copy of the rental agreement entered into by the lessor and the vehicle operator.
(B) The rental agreement shall be available for inspection immediately upon the request of an authorized employee of the department, a regularly employed and salaried police officer or deputy sheriff, or a reserve police officer or reserve deputy sheriff listed pursuant to Section 830.6 of the Penal Code.
(C) If the rented vehicle or combination of vehicles is operated in conjunction with a commercial enterprise, the rental agreement shall include the operators carrier identification number or motor carrier of property permit number.
(d) A vehicle or combination of vehicles that is in compliance with Section 390.21 of Title 49 of the Code of
Federal Regulations shall be deemed to be in compliance with subdivision (c).
(e) This section does not apply to any of the following vehicles:
(1) A vehicle described in subdivision (f) of Section 34500, that is operated by a private carrier as defined in subdivision (d) of Section 34601, if the gross vehicle weight rating of the towing vehicle is 10,000 pounds or less, or the towing vehicle is a pickup truck, as defined in Section 471. This exception does not apply to a vehicle combination described in subdivision (k) of Section 34500.
(2) A vehicle described in subdivision (g) of Section 34500, that is operated by a private carrier as defined in subdivision (d) of Section 34601, if the hazardous material transportation does not require the display of placards pursuant to Section 27903, a license pursuant to
Section 32000.5, or hazardous waste hauler registration pursuant to Section 25163 of the Health and Safety Code.
(3) A historical vehicle, as described in Section 5004, and a vehicle that displays special identification plates in accordance with Section 5011.
(4) An implement of husbandry as defined in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 36000) of Division 16.
(5) A vehicle owned or operated by an agency of the federal government.
(6) A pickup truck, as defined in Section 471, and a two-axle daily rental truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,001 pounds, when operated in noncommercial use.
(f) Subdivision (b) does not apply to the following:
(1) A vehicle that displays a valid identification number assigned by the United States Secretary of the Department of Transportation.
(2) A vehicle that is regulated by, and that displays a valid operating authority number issued by, the Public Utilities Commission, including a household goods carrier as defined in Section 5109 of the Public Utilities Code.
(3) A for-hire motor carrier of passengers.
(g) The display of the carrier identification number shall be in sharp contrast to the background, and shall be of a size, shape, and color that it is readily legible during daylight hours from a distance of 50 feet.
(h) The carrier identification number for a company no longer in business, no
longer operating with the same name, or no longer operating under the same operating authority, identification number, or motor carrier permit shall be removed before sale, transfer, or other disposal of a vehicle marked pursuant to this section.