California Streets and Highways Code
(1) Route 101 near Santa Margarita to Route 33.
(2) Route 33 to Route 43.
(3) Route 43 to just west of Van Buren Place near Bakersfield.
(4) Mohawk Street near Bakersfield to Route 99.
(5) Route 99 to Route 15 near Barstow via Bakersfield and Mojave.
(b) Upon a determination by the commission that it is in the best interests of the state to do
so, the commission may, upon terms and conditions approved by it, relinquish to the City of Bakersfield or the County of Kern the portion of Route 58 that is located within the jurisdiction of that city or county if the city or county agrees to accept it. The following conditions shall apply upon relinquishment:
(1) The relinquishment shall become effective on the date following the county recorder’s recordation of the relinquishment resolution containing the commission’s approval of the terms and conditions of the relinquishment.
(2) On and after the effective date of the relinquishment, the relinquished portion of Route 58 shall cease to be a state highway.
(3) The portion of Route 58
relinquished under this subdivision shall be ineligible for future adoption under Section 81.
(4) For the portion of Route 58 that is relinquished under this subdivision, the City of Bakersfield or the County of Kern shall install and maintain within the jurisdiction of the city or county signs directing motorists to the continuation of Route 58.
(c) The relinquished former portions of Route 58 within the unincorporated area of the County of Kern and within the City of Bakersfield are not state highways and are not eligible for adoption under Section 81. For the relinquished former portions of Route 58, the County of Kern and the City of Bakersfield shall maintain within their respective jurisdictions signs directing motorists to the continuation of Route 58.