California Public Utilities Code
(a) The commission shall not distribute, expend, or encumber any moneys received by the commission as a result of any commission proceeding or judicial action, including the compromise or settlement of a claim, until both of the following are true:
(1) The commission has provided the Director of Finance with written notification of the receipt of the moneys and the basis for those moneys being received by the commission.
(2) The Director of Finance provides not less than 60 days written notice to the Chairperson of the Joint Legislative Budget Committee and the chairpersons of the appropriate budget subcommittees of the Senate and Assembly of the receipt of
the moneys and the basis for those moneys being received by the commission.
(b) This section does not apply to application or licensing fees charged by the commission to defray regulatory expenses.
(c) This section does not apply to moneys received by the commission in a court-approved settlement or as a result of a court judgment where the court orders that the moneys be used for specified purposes.
(d) This section does not apply to moneys received by the commission where statutes expressly provide how the moneys are to be paid or used, including all of the following:
(1) Payment to any fund created by Chapter 1.5 (commencing with Section 270).
(2) Payment to any account or fund pursuant
to Chapter 2.5 (commencing with Section 401).
(3) Payment to the Ratepayer Relief Fund pursuant to Article 9.5 (commencing with Section 16428.1) of Chapter 2 of Part 2 of Division 4 of Title 2 of the Government Code.