(a) (1)This subdivision shall only apply to territory described in paragraph (2) and defined as the “Annexed Area.”
(2) For purposes of this section, “Annexed Area” means the territory consisting of approximately 5,450 acres in the County of Orange bounded to the north by the inland boundary of the coastal zone, to the east by the western boundary of Crystal Cove State Park, to the south by the state’s outer limit of jurisdiction over the Pacific Ocean, and to the west by the city limits of the City of Newport Beach.
(3) This subdivision shall be operative upon the effective date of the annexation of all or part of the Annexed Area by the City of Newport Beach.
(4) Upon the recordation of a certificate of completion of any reorganization or change of organization that results in the annexation of all or part of the Annexed Area by the City of Newport Beach, both of the following shall occur:
(A) The local coastal program applicable to any part of the Annexed Area shall continue to be the certified local coastal program for the County of Orange.
(B) The County of Orange shall continue to exercise all development review authority described in Section 30519, as delegated to it by the commission consistent with the certified local coastal program of the County of Orange for the Annexed Area.
(5) If, at any time after the recordation of the certificate of completion of the annexation of the Annexed Area, the City of Newport Beach elects to assume coastal management responsibility for the Annexed Area, the city may begin preparation of a local coastal program for that area. The City of Newport Beach may adopt provisions of the County of Orange’s certified local coastal program that apply to the Annexed Area. All of the procedures for the preparation, approval, and certification of a local coastal program set forth in this division, and any applicable regulations adopted by the commission, shall apply to the preparation, approval, and certification of a local coastal program for the Annexed Area.
(6) If the City of Newport Beach obtains certification of a local coastal program for the Annexed Area, the city shall, upon the effective date of that certification, exercise all of the authority granted to a local government with a certified local coastal program, and the provisions of paragraph (4) shall become inoperative.
(b) On or before June 30, 2003, or 24 months after the annexation of the Annexed Area, whichever event occurs first, the City of Newport Beach shall submit to the commission for approval and certification the city’s local coastal program for all of the geographic area within the coastal zone and the city’s corporate boundaries as of June 30, 2000. The submittal may include a local coastal program segment for the Annexed Area that will implement the local coastal program for the County of Orange as described in paragraph (4) of subdivision (a).
(c) If the City of Newport Beach fails to submit a local coastal program to the commission for approval and certification pursuant to subdivision (b) or does not have an effectively certified local coastal program within six months after the commission’s approval of the local coastal program, the City of Newport Beach shall submit a monthly late fee of one thousand dollars ($1,000) to be deposited into the Violation Remediation Account of the Coastal Conservancy Fund, to be expended in accordance with the purposes of Section 30823. The City of Newport Beach shall pay the monthly late fee until the time that the city commences implementation of an effectively certified local coastal program. The city may not recover the cost of the late fee from any owner or lessee of property in the coastal zone.