California Probate Code

Sec. § 9732


The court may order that money of the estate in possession of the personal representative be invested in any manner provided by the will if all of the following conditions are satisfied:


The time for filing claims has expired.


All debts (as defined in Section 11401) have been paid or are sufficiently secured by mortgage or otherwise, or there is sufficient cash in the estate aside from the money to be invested to pay all the debts, or the court is otherwise satisfied that all the debts will be paid.


The estate is not in a condition to be finally distributed.


To obtain an order under this section, the personal representative or any interested person shall file a petition showing the general condition of the estate and the types of investments that are proposed to be made.


Notice of the hearing on the petition shall be given as provided in Section 1220. In addition, the petitioner shall cause notice of the hearing and a copy of the petition to be mailed to all known devisees of property which is proposed to be invested. Where the property proposed to be invested is devised to a trust or trustee, notice of the hearing and a copy of the petition shall be mailed to the trustee or, if the trustee has not yet accepted the trust, to the person named in the will as trustee. Mailing pursuant to this subdivision shall be to the person’s last known address as provided in Section 1220.


If no objection has been filed by an interested person, the court may make an order authorizing or directing the personal representative to invest such portion of the money of the estate as the court deems advisable in the types of investments proposed in the petition and authorized by the will. If there is no objection by an interested person and no substantial reason why some or all of the investment powers given by the will should not be exercised, the court shall make the order. The order may be for a limited period or until the administration of the estate is completed. Upon petition of the personal representative or any interested person, the order may be renewed, modified, or terminated at any time.

Last accessed
Jun. 6, 2016