As used in this article, the following terms have the following meanings:
(a) “Affiliate” has the same meaning as defined in Section 1215.
(b) “Depository institution” means any of the following:
(1) National banks, operating subsidiaries of a national bank, and federal branches or agencies of a foreign bank, as defined in Section 1 of the International Banking Act of 1978 (12 U.S.C. Sec. 3101 et seq.), in the case of institutions supervised by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.
(2) State member banks in the case of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.
(3) State nonmember banks in the case of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).
(4) Savings associations and operating subsidiaries of savings associations, in the case of the Office of Thrift Supervision.
(c) “Company” means any corporation, partnership, business trust, association, or similar organization, or any other trust, other than a trust that by its terms must terminate within 25 years or not later than 21 years and 10 months after the death of individuals living on the effective date of the trust. “Company” does not include any corporation the majority of the shares of which are owned by the United States or by any state, or a qualified family partnership, as defined in paragraph (10) of subsection (o) of Section 2 of the federal Bank Holding Company Act of 1956, as amended (12 U.S.C. Sec. 1841(o)(10)).
(d) “Consumer” means an individual who purchases, applies to purchase, or is solicited to purchase from a covered person insurance products or annuities primarily for personal, family, or household purposes.
(e) “Control” has the same meaning as defined in Section 1215.
(f) (1)“Covered person” means either of the following:
(A) A depository institution.
(B) Another person only when the person sells, solicits, advertises, or offers an insurance product or annuity to a consumer at an office of a depository institution, or on behalf of a depository institution.
(2) For purposes of this definition, activities on behalf of a depository institution include activities pursuant to which a person, whether at an office of the depository institution or at another location, sells, solicits, advertises, or offers an insurance product or annuity and where at least one of the following applies:
(A) The person represents to a consumer that the sale, solicitation, advertisement, or offer of any insurance product or annuity is by or on behalf of the depository institution.
(B) The depository institution refers a consumer to a seller of insurance products or annuities and the institution has a contractual arrangement to receive commissions or fees derived from a sale of an insurance product or annuity resulting from that referral.
(C) Documents evidencing the sale, solicitation, advertising, or offer of an insurance product or annuity identify or refer to the depository institution.
(g) “Electronic media” includes any means for transmitting messages electronically between a covered person and a consumer in a format that allows visual text to be displayed on equipment such as a personal computer monitor.
(h) “Office” means the premises of a depository institution where retail deposits are accepted from the public.
(i) “Subsidiary” has the same meaning as defined in Section 1215.