CA Ins Code Section 1639.1


The class or classes of insurance which a nonresident person is licensed to transact under his or her resident license shall be determined according to the definitions of classes of insurance in Sections 101 to 120, inclusive. A certificate from the insurance regulatory authority of the nonresident’s home state may be accepted as evidence of the applicant’s license status and the capacity or capacities in which he or she is licensed. The Insurance Commissioner may also verify the producer’s licensing status through the Producer Database maintained by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, its affiliates or subsidiaries.


A nonresident producer who moves from one state to another state or a resident producer who moves from this state to another state shall file a change of address and provide certification from the new resident state within 30 days of the change of legal residence. No fee or license application is required.


The license authority granted to the nonresident shall not exceed the class or classes of insurance granted by the license issued under the laws of the state, territory of the United States, or province of Canada where the resident license is maintained.
Last Updated

Aug. 19, 2023

§ 1639.1’s source at ca​.gov