(a) This chapter applies to all of the following structures, as defined in Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 301.1) of Part 2, the California Building Code, of Title 24, the California Building Standards Code, of the California Code of Regulations, that are constructed on or after January 1, 2017:
(1) Group A assembly buildings with an occupancy of greater than 300.
(2) Group B business buildings with an occupancy of 200 or more.
(3) Group E educational buildings with an occupancy of 200 or more.
(4) Group F factory buildings with an occupancy of 200 or more.
(5) Group I institutional buildings with an occupancy of 200 or more.
(6) Group M mercantile buildings with an occupancy of 200 or more.
(7) Group R residential buildings with an occupancy of 200 or more, excluding single-family and multifamily dwelling units.
(b) A structure described in subdivision (a) that is an occupied structure shall have an automated external defibrillator (AED) on the premises subject to the requirements in Section 1797.196. A person or entity that
acquires an AED for emergency care pursuant to this section shall not be liable for any civil damages resulting from any acts or omissions in the rendering of the emergency care by use of an AED if that person or entity has complied with subdivision (b) of Section 1797.196.
(c) (1)This chapter
shall not apply to a structure in subdivision (a) that is owned or operated by any local government entity.
(2) This chapter shall not apply to a health facility licensed under subdivision (a), (b), (c), or (f) of Section 1250 of the Health and Safety Code.
(d) This chapter shall not be construed to apply to a structure that is vacant or under construction or renovation.
(e) This chapter shall become operative on January 1, 2017.