CA Fam Code Section 5700.201


In a proceeding to establish or enforce a support order or to determine parentage of a child, a tribunal of this state may exercise personal jurisdiction over a nonresident individual or the individual’s guardian or conservator if:


the individual is personally served with notice within this state;


the individual submits to the jurisdiction of this state by consent in a record, by entering a general appearance, or by filing a responsive document having the effect of waiving any contest to personal jurisdiction;


the individual resided with the child in this state;


the individual resided in this state and provided prenatal expenses or support for the child;


the child resides in this state as a result of the acts or directives of the individual;


the individual engaged in sexual intercourse in this state and the child may have been conceived by that act of intercourse;


the individual has filed a declaration of paternity pursuant to Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 7570) of Part 2 of Division 12, maintained in this state by the Department of Child Support Services; or


there is any other basis consistent with the constitutions of this state and the United States for the exercise of personal jurisdiction.


The bases of personal jurisdiction set forth in subsection (a) or in any other law of this state may not be used to acquire personal jurisdiction for a tribunal of this state to modify a child-support order of another state unless the requirements of Section 5700.611 are met, or, in the case of a foreign support order, unless the requirements of Section 5700.615 are met.
Last Updated

Aug. 19, 2023

§ 5700.201’s source at ca​.gov