(a) The superintendent shall ensure that funds appropriated for purposes of this article supplement and do not supplant categorical funds allocated from other local or state sources in meeting the needs of pupils of limited English proficiency.
Categorical aid funds used for the purposes of Section 52165 shall not exceed, on a per pupil basis, the maximum allowance established pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 54004.5 and regulations implementing that section. Categorical funds used for the purposes of Section 52165 shall include all state and local categorical aid funds which are wholly or partially allocated on the basis of the educational needs of limited-English-proficient pupils.
(b) School districts may claim funds appropriated for purposes of this article for expenditures in, but not limited to, the following categories:
(1) The employment of bilingual-crosscultural teachers and aides; however, funds are available for employment expenditures only to the extent such personnel are employed in providing bilingual services to eligible pupils. School districts applying for these funds shall submit an assurance that personnel hired for this program only supplement and do not supplant district personnel whose positions are funded by the district general fund.
(2) The purchase and development of special bilingual-bicultural teaching materials.
(3) The costs of special in-service training to develop bilingual-crosscu ltural instructional skills with preference given to teachers and teacher aides employed as part of the bilingual-bicultural program.
(4) Reasonable expenses (which may include transportation, child care, translation services, meals, and training) of parent advisory groups on bilingual-bicultural education, at the school and school district level, in the course of their duties as members of the parent advisory groups. The State Board of Education shall adopt rules and regulations defining reasonable expenses.
(5) Health and auxiliary services to the extent that they meet the direct needs of eligible pupils.
(6) Reasonable district administrative expenses including, but not limited to, costs incurred for the census of pupils of limited English proficiency pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 52164.1, assessments pursuant to subdivisions (b) and (c) of Section 52164.1, and parent consultation pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 52173 allowed pursuant to regulations of the board.
(c) Nothing contained in this section shall be interpreted to authorize school districts to reduce per pupil expenditures from local, state, or federal sources for the education of pupils of limited English proficiency.