CA Educ Code Section 51420

The Superintendent shall issue a California high school equivalency certificate and an official score report, or an official score report only, to any person who has not completed high school and who meets all of the following requirements:


Is a resident of this state or is a member of the armed services assigned to duty in this state.


Has taken all or a portion of a general educational development test that has been approved by the state board and that is administered by a testing center approved by the department, with a score determined by the state board to be equal to the standard of performance expected from high school graduates.


Meets one of the following:


Is at least 18 years of age.


Would have graduated from high school had he or she remained in school and followed the usual course of study toward graduation.


Is at least 17 years of age, has accumulated fewer than 100 units of high school credit, and is confined to a state or county hospital or to an institution maintained by a state or county correctional agency.


(A)Is at least 17 years of age, has accumulated fewer than 100 units of high school credit prior to enrollment in the academic program described in this paragraph, and has successfully completed the academic program offered by a dropout recovery high school that provides the pupil with all of the following:


Instruction aligned to state academic content standards.


The opportunity to complete the requirements for a high school diploma. (iii)At least one year of instruction or instruction followed by services related to the academic program.


For purposes of this paragraph, “dropout recovery high school” has the same meaning as set forth in subparagraph (D) of paragraph (4) of subdivision (a) of Section 52052.
Last Updated

Aug. 19, 2023

§ 51420’s source at ca​.gov