California Civil Code
(a) Every rental-purchase agreement shall be contained in a single document which shall set forth all of the agreements of the lessor and the consumer with respect to the rights and obligations of each party. Every rental-purchase agreement shall be written in at least 10-point type in the same language as principally used in any oral
sales presentation or negotiations leading to the execution of the agreement, and shall clearly and conspicuously disclose all of the following:
(1) The names of the lessor and the consumer, the lessor’s business address and telephone number, the consumer’s address, the date on which the agreement is executed, and a description of the property sufficient to identify it.
(2) Whether the property subject to the rental-purchase agreement is new or used. If the property is new, the lessor shall disclose the model year or, if the model year is not known by the lessor, the date of the lessor’s acquisition of the property. If the property is used, the age or the model year shall be disclosed if known by the lessor.
(3) The minimum period for which the consumer is obligated under the rental-purchase agreement; the duration
of the rental-purchase agreement if all regularly scheduled periodic payments are made, designated as the “rental period”; and the amount of each periodic payment.
(4) The total of payments and the total number of periodic payments necessary to acquire ownership of the property if the renter makes all regularly scheduled periodic payments.
(5) The cash price of the property subject to the rental purchase agreement.
(7) The amount and purpose of any other payment or fee permitted by this title in addition to those specified pursuant to paragraphs (3) and (4), including any late payment fee.
(8) A statement that the total number and dollar amount of payments necessary
to acquire ownership of the rental property disclosed under paragraph (4) does not include other fees permitted by this title, such as late payment fees, and that the consumer should read the rental-purchase agreement for an explanation of any applicable additional fees.
(9) Whether the consumer is liable for loss or damage to the rental property and, if so, the maximum amount for which the consumer may be liable as provided in subdivision (a) of Section 1812.627.
(10) The following notice:
You are renting this property. You will not own it until you make all of the regularly scheduled payments or you use the early purchase option.
You do not have the right to keep the property if you do not make required payments or do not use the
early purchase option. If you miss a payment, the lessor can repossess the property, but, you may have the right to the return of the same or similar property.
See the contract for an explanation of your rights.
(11) A description of the consumer’s right to acquire ownership of the property before the end of the rental period as provided in subdivisions (a) and (b) of Section 1812.632.
(12) A description of the consumer’s reinstatement rights as provided in Section 1812.631.
(13) If warranty coverage is transferable to a consumer who acquires ownership of the property, a statement that the unexpired portion of all warranties provided by the manufacturer, distributor, or seller of the property that is the subject of the rental-purchase agreement will be transferred by
the lessor to the consumer at the time the consumer acquires ownership of the property from the lessor.
(14) A description of the lessor’s obligation to maintain the rental property and to repair or replace rental property that is not operating properly, as provided in Section 1812.633.
(b) (1)The disclosures required by paragraphs (3), (4), (5), and (6) of subdivision (a) shall be printed in at least 10-point boldface type or capital letters if typed and shall be grouped together in a box formed by a heavy line in the following form:
You must pay this amount to own the property if you make all the regular payments.
You can buythe propertyfor lessunder theearlypurchaseoption.
Amount over cashprice you will pay ifyou make all regularpayments.
Property available at thisprice for cash from the lessor. See about your
early purchase option rights.
(2) The box described in paragraph (1) shall appear immediately above the space reserved for the buyer’s signature.
(c) The disclosures required by paragraphs (3), (4), (5), and (6) of
subdivision (a) shall be grouped together in a box formed by a heavy line in the form prescribed in subdivision (b) and shall be clearly and conspicuously placed on a tag or sticker affixed to the property available for rental-purchase. If the property available for rental-purchase is not displayed at the lessor’s place of business but appears in a photograph or catalog shown to consumers, a tag or sticker shall be affixed to the photograph of the property or catalog shown to consumers or shall be given to consumers. The disclosure required by paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) also shall be clearly and conspicuously placed on the tag or sticker.
(d) All disclosures required by this section shall be printed or typed in a color or shade that clearly contrasts with the background.