California Civil Code
(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no club card issuer may sell or share a cardholder’s name, address, telephone number, or other personal identification information.
(b) Nothing in this section is intended to prevent a club card issuer from providing names and addresses of cardholders to a third party for purposes of mailing supermarket club card information to cardholders on behalf of the club card issuer. However, that third party shall not use the information for any other purpose.
(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), this section does not prohibit a club card issuer from sharing marketing information that includes cardholder names and addresses if the club card issuer complies with all of the following:
(1) The club card issuer charges an annual fee for its supermarket club card.
(2) The club card issuer requires cardholders to renew supermarket club cards annually and to pay an annual renewal fee.
(3) The club card issuer allows only cardholders, and not members of the public, to make purchases in the supermarket.
(4) The club card issuer provides a privacy statement to the cardholder in the supermarket club card application and in the club card issuer’s annual renewal material notifying cardholders that outside companies will be receiving marketing information including names and addresses of cardholders, and the cardholder has agreed to allow the club card issuer to share this information.
(5) Prior to selling or transferring names and addresses of cardholders to an outside company, the club card issuer has obtained a written confidentiality agreement from the outside company that the outside company will not sell or share the information with any other entity.